Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 - Top tracks

For me 2009 has been more about individual tracks than full albums, it's probably to be expected with the download era. Yet, I love Long Players and it frustrates me a little bit when a band is capable of creating a peach of a song only to fail to write 10 decents tracks. Anyhow here are some of my favorites songs of the past 12 months:


**Eels: That Look You Give That Guy**

Eels came back in sinister form this year with Hombre Lobo: 12 songs about desire. This first single is deffinitely one of the best songs written this year: the lyrics, the music, E's voice, everything is perfect and fits with the other elements seamlessly.Unrequited love has never sounded so...sexy



**Jack Penate: Tonight's The Day**



**Bony King Of Nowhere: The Sunset**




**Andrew Bird: The Giant of Illinois**

If we talk about 2009, I have to mention Dark Was The Night, the best compilation of the year. A double CD filled with probably the best indie artists around doing covers, collaborations etc... As is always the case with such work, it's a little bit hit and miss but even its worse moments are worthy of some admiration.

And I just LOVE Andrew bird's cover of 'The Giant Of Illinois'



**Death Cab For Cutie: I Will Possess Your Heart**

I know I know, it's from 2008 but I bend the rules, ok? Thing is I listened to this song non stop from January until about May so to me it's on my 2009 soundtrack...come on allow me this one...pretty please?
The long version is just amazing with the slow progression on the intro and then the bittersweet, slightly stalkerish lyrics kick in, once against the balance is right between every element


No comments:

Post a Comment