Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oh Mark...I'm burning!

So, after his usual collaborations Mark Lanegan has gone back in a studio to record solo material. Happy news indeed! The first taste of his upcoming album is Burning Jacob's Lader, a track used on a video game' soundtrack which is why we can download this great desert rock piece for FREE. Yup! and I have the link for you.

or you can just listen now:


I'm really excited to hear Lanegan in such fine rock form. I will always remember the first time I heard his voice, on a tape in the train between Saint-Ghislain and Mons.
I had read an article in the magazine Actuel (RIP) about a musical genre called grunge that would soon reach Europe and they mentioned a few bands like Mudhoney and Screaming Trees. I loved the description of their music and decided Screaming Trees would be my favourite band. It even got me an introduction to the cool music gang at school, they were impressed I knew and loved such a fine band. So I went to the Mediathèque, found 2 albums and prayed for the music to be good. I recorded the albums on a tape and bravely pressed Play on my walkman in the train.

I sat there shivering and short of breath, I had instantly fallen in love with Lanegan's voice. Today, some 20 years later I still get the same butterflies in my tummy when I hear him sing songs as good as that Burning Jacob's Ladder.

I can't wait to hear the full album and see him play live again.I hope he takes better care of himself than in the past because we need more good music from the man.

Have a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment